On Friday, September 16, 2016, I attended Hope Fellowship’s men’s conference entitled “Moment Maker”. Over 550 men attended for faith, fellowship, food, and fun. The night was jam packed with Bob Goff, Johnny Quinn, Inky Johnson, praise and worship, and food from Plucker’s, Dickey’s, and In and Out Burger. Moment Maker is referring to being present in the now. Don’t think about the past and what could have been, and don’t worry about the future and what is to come. Live in the moment God has given you now. I took some notes that stood out to me. Before even getting into that, if you have chance to go hear any one of these three individuals, stop what you are doing and do it now!
The night started off with a blast full of energy that is Bob Goff. He spoke first and last, and he had the room in laughter most of the time. He had a message though, and it was powerful. My take-aways are:
- “[Faith,] it doesn’t matter what it looks like anymore, it matters what it is.”
- “When we are not afraid anymore, we start doing stuff.”
- “Living with Jesus is filled with constant interruption.”
- “Prove who we are by how we love people.”
- This is with your family, friends, co-workers, and strangers.
- “Following Jesus is simple, but not easy.”
- Much like eating right or working out. We know it is good for us. We know exactly what to do. But it is difficult to implement and maintain.
- “Lead your family strong. Love them strong.”
- James 1:22 NLT “But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves.”
- Proverbs 4:23 NLT “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.”
- “If I fail, I want to fail trying, not watching.”
- “Quit playing it safe.”
- Galatians 1:6 NLT “I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you to himself through the loving mercy of Christ. You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News.”
- 2 John 6 NLT “Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning.”
- “Live in grace, walk in love.”
- Let that be your anthem. Grace, meaning, the free and unmerited favor of God.
- John 17:4 NLT “I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.”
- “Finish your work, not others.”
- “Be present with your wife and kids.”
- “On your worst day, Jesus calls you ‘beloved’.”
- “Jesus never asked for us to play it safe.”
- “Do less of what you suck at.”
- This one really made me laugh. I am reading several career books that I will write on later. During this process, I realized that through interviews and performance reviews, weaknesses are always brought up. Sometimes, they are not even real weaknesses. More on that later. The point being, if you are not good at something, hurdles for example, stop doing it!
- “Quit being afraid.”
- “Have childlike faith.”
Local star athlete, Johnny Quinn, was up next. Remember the USA Olympian Athlete that busted through a door in the 2014 Russian Olympics? That was him. His speaking style is unique–rhythmic and precise–and he really emphasizes the key points.
Johnny discusses the story of his early adult life and how our plans sometimes do not line up with God’s plans. He discusses his emotional roller coaster ride of being on 2 NFL teams and 1 CFL team and being let go from all due to injuries. Then, out of ‘nowhere’, joining the US Olympic bobsled team.
There were some points that stuck out with me:
- “You might not have the details, but you have a destination.”
- Don’t try and plan every little detail out. Sometimes, you just need to have a leap of faith.
- Matthew 7:7-8 “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
- “Unexpected opportunity. Be ready.”
- “Are you available for a new moment?”
- “When things get tough and you crash in life, God is 100% trustworthy.”
- “No matter what happens, your identity is secure in Christ.”
Inky Johnson. What can I say about this man? He is an inspiration and may God continue to bless him. Inky tells an incredible, life-long story of hardships while staying in faith. Honestly, looking back at my life, I feel silly when I thought I went through rough times.
Football was his life. It kept him on track to make plans and stick to them and leaving a rough situation. But he wasn’t doing this for him, he was doing this for his younger siblings and cousins. So that they knew, that did not have to be victims in their areas.
There were some key things he said that I took quick note of.
- “Life will humble you.”
- “What we say and what we do, don’t match.”
- “Challenges / Adversity introduces to who you really are.”
- “When you make another person’s life OK, God will make sure yours is OK.”
- Be a servant first.
- “When something is broken, don’t throw it away, fix it.”
- “Whatever happens, praise God.”
Through this entire conference, I was fully attentive and in awe the entire time. If you have an opportunity to see anyone of these individuals, whatever the cost, you are coming away with a deal. I cannot wait to see what is in store for next year’s conference.
My goal is for these to be helpful to you. So if you have suggestions or questions, feel free to comment.
Thank you for your time,